To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Friday, October 4, 2013

A Shift

There is so much to say, and I have not had any time to write.  I am going away this weekend with my friend to meet her family.  When I come back, I will update you with all of my stories about Panama. 

When I got back from Panama, I felt restless and unsure again.  I felt like there was a whole big world out there.... why was I spending all of my time in little Quepos?  Some Peace Corps Volunteers that I met while in Panama asked me how I was fitting in to my community.  I told them that it was difficult because there are a lot of tourists around and people seem to have a natural detachment to them; they come and go so often.

Then, yesterday, I noticed a lot of little things. 

When I say "buenos dias" to everyone on the street on my way to work in the morning... they say it back.  It is not a polite, oh-you're-a-tourist-trying-to-be-nice-hi... It is a real hello.  It's hard to explain, but it feels very different.  It is said with a smile and and enthusiasm that I have not seen before.  I don't think it is that the people know me, I think I just fit in a little better.  I seem like I belong here. 

I saw one of the bus drivers walking down the street on my way home from work and said hello to him.  He definitely recognized me and noticed that I am still here.  I think people are so used to students staying for a month or two and then leaving, that it takes them a while to accept that you are not leaving right away. 

Later in the day, I was walking down the street on the way to a student's house and that same bus driver beeped at me.  He thought I was walking quickly to catch the bus and was going to stop so I could get on.  I waved thank you and he smiled and drove away.

It may sound silly, but these little things helped me to realize that I was beginning to be perceived as something more than a tourist. 

Ok, stay tuned for the adventures of Panama....

1 comment:

  1. Great posting. Sounds like big changes even though they are little.
    Glad to hear that you are feeling more a part of the community. We can't wait to hear about Panama.

    ReplyDelete