To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Sunday, June 15, 2014

CR Wins First Game of the World Cup!!!!!

I walk down the streets of Quepos to the theatre and it is like walking with a TV.  Every house and business I pass is playing the game, so walking -  I don't miss one moment.  People are gathered in the vet's office, the corner super, in front corridors.... The city collectively shrieks Spanish obscenities as Uruguay gets a goal.


I join Alexis on the little couch in the back of the theatre to watch the rest of the game.  It is not looking good for CR.  Uruguay has won World Cups before, while CR never has.  Then, the tables turn.  Gooooooooaaaaaalllll for CR!!!! We freak.  Alexis starts hitting the wall and kissing me on the cheek.  I can't even imagine what it sounds like in Quepos (the theatre is outside of town on the coast).  Two minutes later, another goal for CR!!!!!!! This is insane.  The town must be nuts!

Then, my improv group shows up and we finish watching the game together.  CR gets another goal and wins the game!!!! I saw on the news today that San Jose was absolutely insane.  I would have liked to see that, but I'm happy to be watching history with this little group of teenagers I have formed.  





  
And.... I just found out that the president has declared a holiday from school to watch the games this week.  This is how important soccer is.

1 comment:

  1. It's neat how the country is so supportive of their soccer team.
    We can just imagine how crazy it must have been with all the energy and excitement.
    It's great that you are getting to experience that as well.

    ReplyDelete