To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Sunday, June 15, 2014

"I'm proud for myself."

"Teacher, I'm proud for myself" says my student at the Pharmacy after she understands the lyrics to the song we just listened to.  This is one of the most important things I think I have taught her - not English, but to recognize pride at a difficult challenge mastered.  Well, I'm "proud for myself, too."  :]

I'm proud for myself for doing scary things every day until they are no longer scary, but normal.
I'm proud for myself for making a workable life, here, in a different country with a different language.
I'm proud for myself for continuing to see the beauty and the craziness in all of this... and still appreciate it more all the time. 

Funny side note:  the students thought that the song "Arms" by Christina Perri was saying "You put your arms around me and I'm home" as in "you put your weapons around me and I'm home."  We laughed about this visual for about 10 minutes.... acting out hugging someone with guns instead of arms.  Maybe you had to be there to think it was funny.   

2 comments:

  1. We can totally imagine that scenario and it is funny! Second languages can be so confusing, with so many meanings for the same word.

    We are proud of you too for all the things you do for yourself and for helping others be proud of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of and for you. And, I can totally see the confusion re: "Arms"--there is brilliance going on around you. And you inspire it in others--love it!

    ReplyDelete