To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Learning to Accept My Own Culture

I never thought I was racist until I lived in Quepos. 

And I'm not talking about being racist against a culture different than mine, but my own - THE GRINGOS.

With busy season here: they fill the beaches, the buses, and the streets.  Acting ridiculous, like they are in a drunken amusement park, or like they have no idea what they are doing.  Let's just say I'm not always the most welcoming of hosts.  I'm trying to be better at this - seeing that they have as much of a right to be here as I do and that they are an important part of the town.  Without them, many Ticos wouldn't have work. 

It is funny that I go all the way to Central America to learn to accept my own county's people.  That's a work in progress. 

1 comment:

  1. It is very funny to have core beliefs challenged and examined being so far from home.
    Who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete