To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Weirdness of the Week



  1. When I go to the post office to see if they have a package waiting for me, I tell them and show them with my hands how big it will be.  They say ok and proceed to look through all the letters in the cabinet.  This process can take up to fifteen minutes.  

  1. At the bakery, there are no signs on anything to identify what kind of baked good you are looking at.  Some of the breads are sweet and have jam inside… some have meat inside.  It’s like Forest Gump and the box of chocolates – “You just never know what yer gonna get.”  If you ask someone who works there.. sometimes they are helpful, but sometimes they roll their eyes as if they’re thinking – why can’t you tell by what they look like on the outside?! I bet there is a system of designs and shapes that makes all of this obvious to someone of the culture. 

  1. Where do you buy guitar strings in a small town like Quepos?  In the bus station, of course, in the variety store that has two guitars hanging from the ceiling. 

1 comment: