To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Handing out Flyers Like a Rockstar

Place: El Colegio de Quepos

Time: La Hora del Almuerzo

Event: Alexis from the theatre and I handed out flyers to eager clusters of chatting teenagers like rockstars inviting fans to an after-party.

The excitement was definitely there.  Their eyes would light up when I told them I was inviting them to join an improv group on Saturdays that was totally free. Some of them even started waiving their hands around and jumping.

While I was a little nervous at first to insert myself into their little clicks... with the modeling of my outgoing partner, I quickly got over that.  Honestly, I had never imagined this means of advertising.  I was planning on either hanging up flyers on the walls (which would probably never get read) or talking in each class (which would have taken forever and have been disruptive).  This way was like real, on the street, connecting with people... sparking their interest like it was exclusive and hush hush.  Apparently, active in your face advertising like this is the way to go here.  That's how Alexis advertises for the plays... everyone he sees on the street, in the copy store, at the food counter, gets a little flyer.  Well, then there's the mimes that walk around town with a theatre flat of a sign....

This experience was really cool - I really felt like I was a rock-star walking around a high school campus. Something I'll remember for sure. 

We passed out 100 flyers.  Now I have to make more.

Tomorrow, another HS. 

Then, we wait.

I hope only about 15 of the hundred actually come.

The next day I went to a private school and passed out flyers to each classroom all by myself :]

1 comment:

  1. Sounds really exciting.
    What do you do if too many show up...ha ha.
    Hopefully you'll get just the right amount.

    ReplyDelete