To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Rubber Self Destructs in this Climate

Four of my rubber items had enough of life yesterday.  The watch band snapped into three pieces, the chaco shoe soles finally detached from the shoes, my swim suit strap snapped, and the rubber of my headphones literally melted off the ear-buds.

I never knew that a hot humid climate, such as this one, would eat rubber. No wonder we have so many skin issues...

When I went to the shoe repair guy (who for this reason has plenty of work here) we argued for five minutes over whether or not the chaco straps were supposed to be able to move. When I tried to move them, they were cemented stuck by the sand, ocean water, and whatever else was in there.  I tried explaining to him in Spanish that he couldn't glue them down.  He ripped off the entire sole to show me the inside.  There was no turning back, now.  If I wanted working shoes, now they really needed fixing.  So, I thought - well, what do I have to loose?  Ok, glue the straps down then.  Better to have shoes that work than straps that move. 

I know the Chaco company would not agree, but I also doubt they would ship the repair to me here.  Besides, he only charges $5.


1 comment:

  1. Amazing what the climate does to things...who would have known.?

    ReplyDelete