To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Monday, April 6, 2015

Cultural Norms as Exposed at Subway

I love observing.  In fact, I think that observing is one of my favorite activities... which is fortunate since it is something I can do anywhere. 

Today at Subway, I watched a Tico couple walk into Subway and stand, gazing confusedly at the process of ordering a sandwich.   It struck me that in Costa Rica it is common to have cafeterias where you hold your tray and pass through the line, asking for what you want on your plate. 

Maybe that's why they took a tray from the top of the trashcan - the discarded trays customers had left behind - and then proceeded to get into the wrong end of the line.  Once they realized the line was moving towards them instead of towards the food, they moved but carried their trays with them.  They looked so awkward and lost in this American style restaurant.  All of the odd looks I saw other customers in line give as they glanced their way and then back at each other in agreement.  Nobody speaking up to clue them in on these unspoken cultural norms we take for-granted. 

How interesting it was, though, to see this experience I have had so often from the other side...

A little piece of the US in the wrong country.  I guess you really do travel in a Subway ;] 



1 comment:

  1. Who would have thought so much could be learned and observed at Subway.
    One could almost have a Subway be the setting for a play?

    ReplyDelete