To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Reflections on Connections - and a BIG YES

"Just as ripples spread out when a single pebble is dropped into water,
the actions of individuals can have far reaching effects."
 - Dalai Lama

The past few weeks, I have been thinking a lot about connectedness. About how I have gotten to where I am in life and all of the people I have interacted with along the way.  Stories appear in my mind like movie clips - vignettes in which each person clearly has an essential role in the development of the plot.  All of these characters have taught me something and helped me grow in some way.  

Then, I begin thinking about all of the stories I don't know... the movies that have not yet been written or are being written in this very moment.  All of those movies in which I am a supporting character.  The possibilities are endless and I will never see all of these movies.... but merely imagining them puts me in awe. 

This is one of the many reasons I love teaching.  Spending time with young people every day, challenging them to think about the world, supporting them in constructing their own identities, listening to their voices and helping give those voices power... these are the things I care about.  These are the things that make me say YES!

This is why I am PROUD to announce that I am saying YES to graduate school!!!!
I could not ask for a more positive, supportive, passionate, and creative learning community than the one at UT Austin's Drama and Theatre for Youth and Communities MFA program. 

May I have the opportunity and courage to develop my skills of facilitation and be able to continually make a difference in the lives of those I interact with... laughing and playing all the while. 






1 comment: