To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Monday, July 22, 2013

Adjusting

I am definitely still adjusting to living here and have been having many rough days, but I am so grateful for the immense amount of support I feel from at home in Tucson and the growing support network I am creating here.  Now, not every single face in town is new and I sometimes run into people I've seen before or even know.  Also, I've made a few friends just by taking risks and talking to people.  I am proud of that.  I always think... when life is over - would I rather have been courageous and talked to this person or played it safe and just sat there or walked away?  It seems the first option is more fun at least :]

Today, I taught my 3rd English class to the teenagers and as crazy as teenagers are - I really love working with them.  I just don't know if I would be as happy teaching Adults.  People say it is easier, but there is a special magic that happens when I interact with HS age kids.  I feel like I can really connect with them, even if it is with the little English that we are communicating with. It is like I feel at home inside.  Maybe I will be able to find a job working in a school... or at least volunteering with one if I can't get paid to teach there.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool...!
    Sounds great.
    Keep up the greatness that you is...ha ha.
    Glad you're making good progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a true gift for working with young people; they gravitate to you as much as you are drawn to them! That's one of the many reasons why I hesitated at first with the idea that I teach in your stead at Hermosa...I knew I could never replace you! But I am really thrilled for the coming year, and grateful that we both decided to "take the plunge" into the unknown!!

    As you continue scouting out a job, an idea came to me: if you have the chance to look up "los misioneros mormones" they may be able to help you locate a teaching position and/or a new place to live. The missionaries meet tons of people on a regular basis, and know the layout of their towns very specifically-- and they are very service minded and love to help out anyone! So if you happen to see "La Iglesia de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias" you might consider dropping in just to make an inquiry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! And thanks for the info, I will definitely look into that. I know the kids will love you too! Hug.

      Delete
  3. Wow Jill.
    Though we've not met...
    I can see how the class will be in great hands with you.
    And You sure have been an amazing support for Moriah in her journey so far.

    ReplyDelete