To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Even Amazing Things Can Feel Really Difficult

I wanted to make sure to share how challenging living abroad can feel.  Sometimes, I just feel like I am free falling for a very long time... never really landing anywhere.  It is like I took that leap of faith and am still in mid leap.  Sometimes I am fine, and other times it is all just too much.  The cars, the noises, the people, the smells, the Spanish.... the unknown future. It is like sensory overload and I just want to curl up and hide.  I know, of course, on a logical level that these sensations will pass and I will love it here  - but in the moment it is super hard and super lonely. 

Today was one of those days where I just couldn't handle any more input.  I went home early from school because my stomach was hurting all afternoon.  When I got home I just called my parents and cried.  Talking with them made me feel better and then right as the sun was setting, I went out for a walk.  As you can see, Barva was GORGEOUS!!!! I was so thankful to be here and to be experiencing all of this beauty.  I mean, here I am.... in Central America... living the life I have dreamed of since I started college.  Even if it is hard, that is something to be proud of. 

Also - when I got home, I had told my host mom that my stomach hurt - so she made soup to make me feel better.  She said it was the soup she made when people were sick.  I felt loved :] 

8 comments:

  1. All new ventures are exciting yet overwhelming leaving you questioning yourself. You are being very brave at the moment and it's ok to feel scared and unsure. I am so proud of you! Glad to keep up with all your adventures here :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo...!
    You're doin it...!
    So proud of you...!
    Did we tell you we believe in you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the bold, brave, vulnerable, and honest in all of this... and the joy that surfaces at unexpected times! You're fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. Your comment means a lot to me. You're also fabulous!!!

      Delete
  4. I agree! Good to hear what's really going on, and that you have a cute host mom who's making you soup :)

    ReplyDelete