To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Saturday, July 6, 2013

I'm here...

Here I am in Barva de Heredia, CR.  I have  to admit that it feels very daunting right now to start a "normal life" from scratch in a totally new part of the world where I don´t know anyone.  I walk down the streets and every single face and sight is new.  It is excilerating (sp?)* and very uncomfortable.  I sit here, in my new room, trying to feel at home, two bags as my only posessions.  I am trying to not think about all the activities and friends that I left behind in Tucson and be totally present here, ready for whatever this journey may bring.  Even so, thoughts keep popping up in my head - why did I come here? What am I doing?  Do I want to stay?  Will I even like it?  Am I strong enough for this? Will it be worth it?


I think it will feel better once I get into the routine of going to school on Monday.  Then I will make friends and have a purpose.  Right now I´m just trying to adjust and get some rest.  I am sooooo tired from the GRE packing, moving, and selling my car - all in the past two weeks.  It has been a total whirlwind.

*Many of you know that spelling is not one of my strengths and this computer only has spellcheck in Spanish.  Sorry if there are errors.  I would look up how to spell them, but I can only google in Spanish as well.... oh, the little things in life that usually seem so easy like googling a word or figuring how to log out of your gmail account.

Thinking you are moving to a place semi-permenantly feels way different than traveling there with a determined end date.  This is a lot scarier for sure; this surprises me because I thought that knowing how to communicate in the language and already being familiar with Costa Rican culture would make it a lot easier. I guess it is harder on a different level.  I´ll try to appreciate this time of feeling so vulnerable and seeing the great unknown ahead.... Afterall, it won´t stay this way for long.  

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing really well for the 1st day.
    Good perspective on your situation.
    We're realllly proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can right click the mouse and it will pull up 'idiomas' and then you can change the browser to English, tip #168493 I have learned with almost 5 years here. :-) but, you'll learn more if you work through it in Spanish. Bienvenida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacey! I think I saw on FB that you teach yoga? I love yoga, also. We should meet up.

      Delete
  3. I admire your adventurous spirit and strength! You're doing great. Dr.Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lynn! :) I miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete