To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Que Importa?

I just had an hour long discussion with my host family about how the only thing you can control in life is yourself.  When someone else upsets you... you don´t need to be upset.  "no es vale la pena" and "que importa" and "pura vida" were the most common phrases of the conversation.  I wonder if this is a culture wide attitude...

These are, of course, things I had heard many times before... but it was fun discussing them in a different language. I think I have reached a new level of fluency if I can have phylosophical debates in Spanish and make such good points that my host dad decides that I won.  Haha.  He was insisting that there are no true friends in the world and if you have no money, you have no friends.  I argued that maybe that was true for the masses... but a person can have a few true solid friends that stick with him or her through anything.  I know I do.  My host mom agreed and he decided we won :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what an accomplishment.
    Good for you..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's impressive!
    Debating in Spanish and even winning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me think of my time in Bolivia so much! I remember as I became more comfortable with Spanish, and the amazing freedom of being able to express yourself fully in another language. The excitement of having people understand you! I also remember that my throat and lips ached a little when I started to become more fluent- it was like my mouth was adjusting to all the new motions and inflections of a totally new way of speaking! Your Spanish will be even more awesome in just a few months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha... that's funny.. I think it is just my brain and sometimes my stomach that hurts. I hope I get better :]

      Delete