To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Friday, July 19, 2013

Surrender and Sushi

What a day.  Right before teaching my first group class, we had a lesson on getting jobs here in CR.  The lesson pretty much consisted of:

Step 1:  Look at the list of language schools.
Step 2:  Go to those schools... even though that requires riding many buses and doing so at night.
Step 3: Talk to the people at those schools and ask if they want to hire you.  (You could just email them... but they probably won't respond).
Step 4: Find a new place to live.

I have to find a new place to live in the next two weeks!!!! I thought I could stay at my place for more time, but I guess new students are coming and I have to move out. 

I think this is definitely the most unsure process I have ever been a part of.  This is very scary for me.  The interesting thing, though, is that when I take a step back and look at the situation - there is not much I can control (if anything).  I can simply make choices when they come up and move forward, trusting that either it will all work out eventually or I'll go home (or somewhere else) with an experience full of lots of learning. 

So.... my plan is to keep being open, make connections, talk to people.... and hopefully the universe will help me encounter what I need.  Keep sending me good thoughts.  They are much appreciated. 

What does sushi have to do with this story?  Well, after school I headed over to my friend's house and we went to her friend's house to make sushi!!!! This was my first time making sushi ever... who would have thought it would have been in Costa Rica?  It was muy rico :]  (even though it did still have rice in it). I just can't seem to get away from that grain.  Asi es la vida aqui.

I know what tomorrow will hold.... resume, cover letter, and mapping out a plan for the job search.   

2 comments:

  1. Surrender and acceptance.
    Two big life lessons.
    You're doing great.
    at least you know what you have to do.
    "Chop wood, haul water"
    So proud of you..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so scary to not be in control. But you are so brave to move forward and jump into this adventure with all your energy! What you are doing is amazing. Let go of fear and let peace enter in. I will pray that doors will open for you soon!

    ReplyDelete