To My Middle School Students:

To My Middle School Students:

I hope that you enjoy this blog about my adventures living and teaching abroad. I am glad that I get to keep you all updated in this way and know that, even though I am not technically your teacher anymore, I will always consider you my students. Feel free to leave comments, to email me with questions, or just say hi :]

Sunday, July 28, 2013

YEAH!!!!!!

I am suuuuuuper proud of my Spanish skills right now.

I have been applying to a lot of jobs on craigslist in the past two weeks - some reply, some don't, and apparently.... some just decide to call you.

This morning, I had just woken up when my phone rang.  I answered in Spanish since I did not know the number.

"Halo? Si, quien es?"  That is when the test began.

The woman on the phone did not speak much English and after once sentence from her after I asked if she spoke English - I realized we would have a better shot at communicating in Spanish.  She was interested in hiring me to work at a Waldorf Kinder in the Nicoya Peninsula.  I guess she couldn't read my resume I had sent because it was in English... so she just noticed the Montessori part and got excited.  When I told her I didn't have experience with the super young children, she was no longer interested in hiring me.... but I was just so proud that I had participated in an interview in Spanish, I did not mind at all.  

I couldn't believe that I had just talked about the similarities in the developmental stages between kinder and adolescents and that it seemed to be fluid enough for us to have a real life business conversation.  She was so nice and told me that if I ever wanted to visit, I could and that maybe next year the school would grow more and I could teach older kids.  Who knows what I'll be doing next year - but it was still a nice thing for her to say. 

I got off the phone and could not believe what I had just done.  I would have had just as hard a time having that random conversation in English after just waking up and talking on the phone in Spanish is really difficult.  This is when I realized that my Spanish has reached a whole new level - at least for today :] 

1 comment:

  1. That's quite an accomplishment!
    It shows that studying Spanish in the school of life is also effective.

    ReplyDelete